Thursday, February 5, 2009

Realizations during the Horrific Boat ride on the way to Puerto G

We were originally scheduled to leave Manila at around 2am. That way, we’d be on board the bus to Batangas Pier before 3am and some time before 4am we’d leave the Buendia Bus station. With that, we estimated that we’d arrive in Batangas Pier around 6am and then be on board the boat and sailing towards Galera by 7am. That was the plan. I’ve been to the place twice and I know that mornings are the best times to have a boat ride. Worst times would be late afternoon since the waves are really big already by that time.

Unfortunately, due to a meeting that hubby needed to attend at 4am that morning, add to that the fact that we had to wait for the broker to drop by our place and give her part of her commission for the sale of one of the properties of my uncle, we weren’t able to follow the schedule that we originally mapped out for the trip. Apparently we left the house at around 10am and finally arrived in Batangas Pier at 1:30ish. We were told at the ticketing booth that the next boat is supposed to leave by 2pm, only to be told by the pier guards that the boat we picked will leave by 3pm. But as fate would have it, we were even more annoyed that the boat didn’t leave as scheduled. They opted to wait for more passengers and so we were able to finally sail to Galera by 4pm. I knew right away it won’t be a smooth ride!

Hubby finally agreed that I was right in telling him all along that we need to make sure we get the earliest boat trip. There were so many times when the “captain” of the boat (75 seater boat) had to turn off the engine of the boat while we get face to face with big waves! I was clutching my husband’s arm real tight while praying for dear life. The waves becomes were bigger at the time when we had to pass by two islands fronting each other. And then finally it subsided when we were back at open sea. I asked hubby about it and he explained it to me. He said that if there’s no land at all, then the water will just be still. But since there’s land, the water splashes back after it reaches the shore, thus creating waves. Then he mentioned that the waves are much bigger and stronger at the time when we’re closer to land.

Thinking about it while praying earnestly during the ride, the Lord gave that to me as an analogy. During the situations in our lives wherein our faith is being tested, and at the time when we think it’s already the breaking point, that’s the time when we’re really close to deliverance. It’s the stage prior to a breakthrough, all we need to do is to hang in there and wait for the Lord to take us out of that situation. Looking back now, there were a lot of times when I chickened out when already faced with that kind of situation, and looking back now, I feel bad knowing that I could have received more blessings (in all aspects – primarily spiritually) had I opted to hold on and wait for the Lord. And now that I am writing this entry, I am reminded of a book of Joyce Meyer that I bought before. The title of the book is DO IT AFRAID! There are times when all that God is asking of us is to wait patiently for him.

Psalm 37:7a
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.


I am writing this to remind myself that at times when it seems the toughest, I’m at the verge of being delivered from that trial, and that all I need to do is to wait on Him.

No comments: